As we try to cut carbs my dinners are a lot of meat and veggies. There are nights my son will look at me with a dreaded look of food boredom. Then I always struggle on being creative. One day I found a recipe for a Butter Chicken & Broccoli Recipe but wanted to make it more enticing for the boys. So, I added the garlic, pasta and hot sauce.
I used boneless chicken thighs because I love stir fry chicken with thighs, but this recipe works great with chicken breast cut to bite size pieces.
My pasta of choice is Ancient Harvest’s Protein-Packed POW! Pasta. I used the Chickpea Elbow for this recipe. I like to sneak in the extra protein where I can especially with a tween in sports. This pasta has up to 25 g of protein per 3.5 oz serving, twice as much as traditional wheat pasta!
Just a little plug – did you know that Ancient Harvest makes protein-packed mac and cheese? My son’s favorite and it comes in mild cheddar, white cheddar or sharp cheddar (our favorite).
Now for the Garlic Butter Chicken & Broccoli Pasta recipe…finally!
Garlic Butter Chicken & Broccoli Pasta
- 2 lbs Boneless Chicken (breast or thighs) cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Cups Broccoli (cooked to almost done)
- 1/2 Cup butter, softened and divided
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning or fresh Italian herbs
- 2 tsp Franks hot sauce optional
- 2/3 Cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp lemon juice or fresh squeezed
- 1 tsp fresh parsley
- 2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 box cooked Ancient Grains POW! Protein pasta Elbow or penne work great
- Cut chicken into small pieces and prepare broccoli to cook to (almost) done. Season the chicken in season with salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- Heat oil and 1/4 C of the butter in large pan or walk and cook chicken until browned and cooked through
- Lower the heat, add 1 teaspoon minced garlic and Italian seasoning and stir and cook with chicken bites
- Remove cooked chicken from pan and set it and cooked broccoli aside
- In the same skillet turn up to medium-high, add the garlic and deglaze with chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and allow to reduce to half the volume. Add remaining 1/4 cup butter, lemon juice, hot sauce, parsley. stir.
- Add the (almost) cooked broccoli and stir about 2 minutes until soft
- Add the sauteed chicken bites back to the pan and stir for another minute to reheat. Garnish the chicken and asparagus with more parsley, and toppings of choice.
- Serve over cooked protein-pasta!